St. Patrick of Heatherdowns is a vital part of the Catholic Church, united in one faith, one baptism, committed to the proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ in word and sacrament. We worship together as the Body of Christ, we minister to one another in the spirit of the Gospel and we reach beyond ourselves to those in need of our time, talent and treasure. We become the living presence of God in love and service
The first step in establishing St. Patrick’s as a parish was made on June 15, 1955 when Bishop George Rehring purchased an eleven acre plot along Heatherdowns Boulevard from sisters Emma and Louise Kneer.
The parish was officially “born” on June 7, 1956, when Fr. James Brogan was appointed associate pastor at Maumee St. Joseph, armed with a list of 615 families who would become his new parish. Legend has it that Fr. Brogan visited each and every one of those households personally.
On September 23, 1956, a meeting of the new parish was held at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and the name “St. Patrick” was chosen upon the Bishop’s recommendation. Fr. Brogan’s middle name, by the way, was Patrick.
Before the church was built, the first Masses were held in the auditorium of Heatherdowns School; there were four Masses each Sunday, with Fr. William Seelaus, an Oblate from St. Francis deSales High School assisting Fr. Brogan.
The first Sunday collection at St. Pat’s totaled $4,914.82.